Thursday, October 2, 2014

Catching up with Barbie


     
       
         

On recent fashion news, Barbie has made its biggest comeback since I was a child (in my opinion). I have many fond memories of my childhood playing with Barbies. I remember every Christmas Eve my cousin and I would play Barbies until it was midnight and time to open presents. Over the Summer, news started circulating on the web that Barbie had join Instagram under BarbieStyle, I immediately followed her.

I grew up with Barbie, she was who I would play with every day after school until I reached the age when it was no longer cool. A lot of my childhood memories are with this doll. She is the epitome of American culture. This doll is an illusion and depiction of the "Perfect Woman" - flawless, classy and stylish. She does everything and she is perfect! Our culture can pick at this doll and mention everything that is wrong with her cultural meaning, but I love how Jeremy Scott put it, "When people want to dissect her and her cultural meaning- it's a doll, it's meant to have fun, it's fashion, its just meant to be fun."

Whoever is running her Instagram page must be having a blast living that Barbie life. She is now a renowned fashion blogger who has been to many major fashion shows and most recently, she became the face of Moschino Spring 2015 Ready-to-Wear collection which debuted in Milan. Nonetheless, bubble gum pink was the primary color of this collection featuring other fun colors such as orange, blue and green. The collection was obviously not meant to be so serious, it was nothing less of fun. The very Barbie-esque props brought Barbie to life and that's what I loved the most about this collection, Scott made every girl's dream who played with Barbie come to life. Above are some of my favorite pieces from the collection.


Sheila


No comments:

Post a Comment